Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reading Goals and Bookshelf Plans

One of my (important to me) goals is to change my life. Isn't that always The Goal? But, this change is in regards to my mental health: I feel so much better when I read! I fell off the book wagon a few years ago, however, and haven't been reading as much as I'd like to.

So, my new goal is to read at least one book a month. And no garbage. I only want to read seriously-good-change-your-life books. Afterall, I only have so much time left in which to apply the lessons from my reading into my life, right? So, no fluff, nonsense or romance novels need get in my way.

Besides going out and buying the book, one of the easiest ways I've found to keep track of what I'm wanting is to keep an on-line list. I keep one on both Amazon and Goodreads since my to-read list seems so much bigger than my have-read list, and buying that many books would never work. Goodreads also allows me to interact with friends and see what they're reading, which of course only makes my to-read list even larger.

I also now have an e-reader, which I enjoy though it can't take the place of a physical book. I like the smell of a book and the weight of it in my hand, not to mention the satisfaction the comes from viewing a stack of "have-read" or "to-read" books lying about.

I've been enjoying looking through the free book offers on Amazon that I can send right to my Kindle and also I've checked a few out from our local library. For now, my own physical books are still packed away, and I miss them immensely. They will go here (see below) around this fireplace. My spouse, B, is going to build for me, grand, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves on either side, and I could not be more excited.

The house came with this purple-gray wall color, which we love but would have never chosen on our own.
Of course, we have our first home to thank for the inspiration (below), but the new shelves will be open, and there are no windows in the space.

How it looked after it was ready to sell.


I most enjoy books by and about women (Sula is a favorite), about biracial experiences (some favorites are Ceremony and The Girl Who Fell From the Sky), coming-of-age (To Kill a Mockingbird, Forever by Blume), transformations (Song of Solomon), autobiographies (Malcolm X by Haley) and the grit of human experiences (Grapes of Wrath, Bloodroot, Roots).

If you have similar tastes, share a book recommendation with me & I'll share one with you, or join me on Goodreads. I'm Mamabelle, and if you're on the blog, you can click on my bookshelf to the right.

No comments: