Thursday, August 23, 2012

A new home for earrings

Earrings, bracelets and necklaces at my casa now have a new home. It's yet another hubby project--completed! After seeing so many cool ideas for storing jewelry on Pinterest, I felt it was time to free my earrings from their fishing tackle box prisons. The tackle boxes I used were great for years, but they don't work at all in my new bathroom because there's not enough counter space or storage.

Another problem was that I'd often long neglect pairs that got hidden or were oddly shaped and not with the others. Finally, most of the ideas I'd been seeing were made from old picture frames and were much too small. I wanted something much larger that would hold all I have now and hopefully all the earrings I'd ever have or ever want. At first I thought I could divide and conquer the task myself, but after discussing it with hubby, we realized it'd take both of us (ok, so basically just him).


First, we worked out a "plan" for what I wanted. It took a while to figure out how to make it work.  The supplies were very cheap.  Basically a couple of trim boards, some hooks, hardware and a roll of screen from The Home Depot. (see above)


"B" (hubby) cut angles on the trim.


B used both hardware and wood glue on the corners. (see above)


Daughter helped. (note my wall hen decal--purchased off Etsy, love it!) We let it dry until the next day. (See above)


And of course The Cat helped. I used a little acrylic paint and water to make a wash for the wood. No reason really, just seemed like the fastest and easiest way to get it done.


Time to attach the screen! Seemed like it would be easy, but even with two people, it was a real challenge trying to hold the screen tight enough while also stapling it. You don't want the screen to sag when finished.


Here's what it looked like close up. (see above) But, the staples will be covered with an inside trim piece.


It was then time to cut more angles for the inside trim pieces. My new counter-top has taken a beating already!


And here's the first of the four inside trim pieces (bottom of the top edge) that went along the inside edge of the frame and performed two purposes: hiding the staples and tightening the screen even more than with just staples.


Daughter was THRILLED to finally be able to "play" with mama's earrings and have such an important job--transporting them pair by pair to their new home.


Last but not least, I added hooks (my fingers got so tired!) all around the perimeter to hold hoop earrings, bracelets and other pieces that would fit.


And hooks along the bottom for necklaces. Though nothing's happened yet, these could become dangling cat toys... yikes. I hope to find the perfect little containers to go across the bottom shelf to hold small, non-dangle earrings. If you have an idea, please let me know. I'm picturing small, wire-like circular or square containers that I could glue onto the ledge.



It's exactly what I wanted! Thank you, hubby!

No comments: