Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Right Place at the Right Time... sort of

Sometimes it seems like deals are only about being at the right place at the right time, but really, that isn't so.

Here's an example:

Manager's Special, $0.59

If you buy or have ever bought Amy's chili, (vegan, gluten-free and happens to be my favorite canned chili) you know $0.59 is a crazy, low price. How did I get such a deal?

On Sunday I needed one item from the grocery store, so I ran over to the store to pick it up. I was in the right place at the right time, but here's the strategy part--even though I was only getting one item, I still quickly scanned the produce and health food departments, and I quickly looked over the manager's special bins located in a few places around the store. In other words, I've trained myself to always be on the look-out.

When I found these in the mark-downs, the price wasn't yet on them. I found the manager close by (we had already said hello to each other--get to know the staff at your most frequented stores), and he paged help. Help arrived, the price was marked and I said, "I'll take them all!"

Always scan for deals, Know the employees and Don't be afraid to ask questions!

4 comments:

Libby said...

you go to the asheville hwy kroger, right? that place is so great for deals in the health food section! i got some cascadian farms cereal and organic juice for next to nothing there yesterday, and a few months back i bought about 10 jars of annie's salad dressing that were insanely cheap. love finding deals like that!

Mamabelle said...

Yes!

Julie said...

Go girl! Awesome deal!

Keya said...

I love Amy's