Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Homemade Automatic Dishwashing Detergent

I'm a detergent snob. I don't want to spend any money on something that doesn't work! I usually do the best I can with coupons and sales to find gelpacs or tab detergents such as Electrosal or Cascade. Though I want the product to work well, I haven't been particularly happy with my methods of affording those items. Let's face it, sometimes it's tiresome.

I'd heard of making your own laundry detergent, and when I posted something on facebook, a friend responded with this site:
http://diynatural.com/simple-effective-jabs-homemade-dishwasher-detergent-rinse-agent/

So, I finally made my own automatic dishwashing detergent! You'll need to check the above site for the exact recipe and details, but these are the ingredients needed:

1 box of Arm & Hammer® Super Washing Soda
1 box of 20 Mule Team® Borax
1 box of coarse Kosher Salt
(minimum) 2 ounces container of food-grade Citric Acid

 
 
 
I checked both Wal-mart and Target for Arm & Hammer and Borax. Fail.

Kroger, however, had both. The citric acid can be found at EarthFare in the health & beauty bulk section (many thanks to the kind employee there who always patiently answers my questions). Three Rivers Market may carry it as well.
 
I'm guesstimating the cost per load is about 4 cents! So far, I've done two loads of dishes, and they are just as clean as usual compared to powder cleaners. I have tried Seventh Generation powder in the past, and it certainly works as well as that. So, the switch is complete at my house, and I won't be chasing down bargains on gelpacs and stressing out when I nearly run out while no deals are to be had. Relief!
The product does lump a bit, but it's still fine to use it that way. You might add a little rice to it to help absorb moisture. Read through the comments on the diynatural page for more tips.

2 comments:

Libby said...

oh, this is awesome - thanks for posting! i've always bought the super cheap dishwasher detergent and been really unhappy with the results but i'm too cheap to buy the good stuff. making my own has been in the back of my mind for awhile but i never got around to seeing if it was possible. can't wait to try this!

Mamabelle said...

I still prefer the good stuff, but on so many levels, I feel better about making my own. So far, it's working pretty well. I'm using a little more than they recommend too b/c I'm adding a bit to the pre-wash.