Sunday, November 14, 2010

Going vegetarian

I enjoyed reading a post by Trent at The Simple Dollar on his switch to a plant-based diet for health reasons. I especially appreciated this statement:

As I thought about the options, I asked myself whether it was really important to me to eat certain foods. “How many years of good health is it worth for me to give up food X?” I realized that, when I thought of it in that context and in relation to watching my kids grow up and do whatever life has in store for them, I didn’t really have to add too much good health to my life to make it worth some significant dietary changes.


I couldn't agree more. This level of thought is exactly what I think many of us need. We need to always consider how our current actions are shaping our future. If we are doing something everyday, we must think to ourselves, how does doing this everyday add up at the end of a year, at the end of ten years? If it's exercise, we'll see some major benefits, but if our everyday activity is smoking, ignoring our children, eating a fast-food burger or driving recklessly, we might reconsider our current actions or have serious future consequences.

Back to food, here's some resources:
http://www.vrg.org/ Vegetarian Resource Group
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/protein-veg-diet.php (phenomenal and thorough article about the protein myth)
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/Vegetarian_and_Vegan_101.htm

1 comment:

Libby said...

I totally agree! I used to be a chain-smoking Wendy's/McD's addict and I changed my ways drastically because I decided that I valued my life too much to be hurting myself in that way. It has been one of the best decisions I've ever made! I eat vegetarian 99.9% of the time and vegan 85% of the time (and I haven't picked up a cigarette in almost 3 years), and I've never felt better. I'm also looking forward to having more good years of life because of my decisions! Thanks for posting this.