Monday, August 2, 2010

Saving (wasting) money on crafts

Lately, I've been venturing more and more into the crafting world. It's so accessible thanks to all the lovely coupons and great sales at places like Hobby Lobby, AC Moore and JoAnns. It's been costing quite a bit of money, but if I continue on these projects, I will save in the long run--a very.... long.... run.

If you've been thinking about getting into some of these crafts, I hope this post will serve as some inspiration to jump on in. Homemade crafts are always great gifts.

My newest adventure is in jewelry making. A friend took me to the craft store and helped me select the basics, and here's what I've come up with so far:


The rainbow necklace is for my daughter and has her name on it (which I've covered as a precaution b/c her name isn't common) Now that I see how easy earrings can be, I'll probably not buy another pair. Even better, I am no longer stressed about my orphan earrings. Now, I can simply make something else that's similar.

I also recently began making my own cards. I got started by attending a card-making party with a mom's group. At the party, I made these four cards--even the t-shirt is handmade, folded & everything. If you are already making scrapbooks, you probably already have everything you need to get started. I purchased a multpack of greetings stamps and a multipack of ink to keep this craft going. I also recently purchased a 200 pack of blank, multicolor cards & envelopes at Target for only $10. It's near the thank you notes on the bottom shelf and is available in several selections.


Finally, I also enjoy tie-dying. I began this craft as a fun event at my daughter's first birthday party and became hooked. Tie-dying is very inexpensive if you just use packaged dyes (rather than purchasing kits), a little salt and some rubber bands. Here are some of my projects:


No comments: