Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food

Deceptively simple way to get this cookbook for only $3: Big Lots!

There are plenty of copies available at the Broadway location (for now), but I don't know about other locations.

This cookbook has recipes for meals like grilled cheese, brownies, etc that include pureed vegetables. Of course, not all of them will be useful for me in a vegetarian home, but I'm always interested in increasing the nutritional value of unhealthy foods that I crave. For example, in her book, she has a recipe for Ranch dip that includes Navy or Great Northern beans or pink pancakes with beets. My daughter loves pancakes, and the only thing she might like more are pink ones!

Now, my first thought was why would I want to hide veggies when my kid already eats them (most of the time), and shouldn't I be simply serving the veggies? Yes and no. Yes, I WANT to serve veggies more, but no, sometimes push comes to shove, we have no time or veggies available, and we go with grilled cheese sandwiches.

The author suggests making purees in advance, then storing them in the freezer to throw into recipes as needed. I imagine I'll make 15 or so recipes from her book, which is beneficial, but the value of the ideas I've gleaned for how to make food more nutritious far surpass the number of recipes I will try. Definitely a good purchase.

Read about some controversy over this book: USA Today article. (Image from USA Today article.)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

April said...

I have this book and honestly think I have made only one thing...the chocolate chip cookies with chick peas. They were awesome! This just reminded me that I should make more things out of it. Thanks!