Monday, August 24, 2009

Insect repellent cures eczema?


At only a few weeks old, my daughter began getting dry patches on her legs. The doctor said, "oh, winter is so hard on new baby skin."


At a different doctor's office during her 18 month old check up, the nurse practitioner said, "oh, summer heat is so hard on baby skin."


Something isn't adding up?


My daughter's dry skin patches, or eczema, have been present to varying degrees ever since. I tried a few things here and there, but mostly in the beginning I kept her moisturized with Eucerin moisturizing cream. Before long, I noticed the patches would go crazy--spread up her legs and turn red--after being in strongly chlorinated environments like pools. This summer I kept her away from fountains and pools at the cost of many a playdate. In addition, only a few weeks ago, she hopped in the creek at Fountain City Park, and her skin reacted. Who knows what's in there?


When we went to the beach this summer, we camped, so she wasn't in chlorinated water at all. Her eczema disappeared right away even though we were eating the same foods. Since our return, I've been putting Vitamin C and sea salt in her bath water, (Vitamin C neutralizes chlorine) and her skin has been decent but not great.


Now for the news: Burt's Bee's "All Natural Herbal Insect Repellent" cures eczema??? Well, I tried it out--for the insect repellent effect--and the next morning, her skin was smooth and soft. The only other time it looked and felt that good was after our beach trip. So, what to do now?


I made a trip to Earthfare, discussed it with a helpful employee and came home with Mommie Dots "ReNewed Bebe Vegan Butter Balm" which states: a "soothing atopic remedy for eczema and severe dry skin."


So far, it's great, but not as strong as the Burt's Bees. Please note I've only had it for one day. I had planned on buying some of the same essential oils in the insect repellent, so that's probably what I'll still end up doing.


The bottom lines are: doctors weren't helpful at all, my girl has some sensitive skin/allergy seemingly to external not internal causes, and this is probably going to take a while to figure out.

By the way, the only place I know of to get the Burt's Bee's spray is at Lowe's, and it worked much better than those other natural brands I've tried. I wasn't completely mosquito proof (I had to put it on thicker), but the daughter was.


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

My aunt has SEVERE excema and she's tried alot of stuff. The best treatment she's found is just keeping neosporin on it. She said some of the stuff the doctors gave her made it hurt to the point where she cried. Said she'd rather have it look ugly and feel ok rather than the way their medicine made it feel.

It's pretty bad. It's very red, raised and bumpy. It often cracks and bleeds.

Please, please, keep me updated on what you discover for your daughter because I'd love to share with my aunt. I've love an email from you too if it's not too much trouble. Just to make sure I don't miss the post! : )

Mamabelle said...

Absolutely!

Mamabelle said...

A friend on facebook, commented the following:

Have you tried probiotics? I read a lot of info that the severity of eczema can be reduced by 40% if the mother takes them for the first 6 months of breastfeeding. So, I assume that it would help if the baby took them at anytime. I use the infant probiotic powder from Earthfare in my toddler's drink when he had to do antibiotics or I need to boost his immune system and it seems to work.