Friday, August 14, 2009

Baby Bookworms at Burlington Branch Library


True for any major city (I hope!): the public library is your friend.


Mine saved me from postpartum depression. Ok, so that's an overstatement. But, when my daughter was about four months old, I heard about a program called baby bookworms, bb, at our libraries. I also heard that the 11:00 bb at Fountain City branch was The One, so we went and faithfully attended. At times, attending bb was the only thing I looked forward to for the week. My baby was always calm and happy while there. The charismatic storytime leader thrilled us with interactive songs, big pop-up books, finger plays, and playtime on a blanket of toys afterward.


She's still doing that now, but word has spread. Our baby bookworms storytime has gotten crowded! Other moms have told me about bb at other library branches--some good, some not so good. So, when I finally made it to a new once-a-month story time at my closest branch, Burlington, I was excited.


The best news is that it will now be held twice a month. Beginning in September, it's the first and third Tuesday at 10:30. The time and day are a perfect match for me and the little one. To recap:


Baby Bookworms
Burlington Branch Library (East Knoxville)
1st and 3rd Tuesdays
10:30 a.m.

(September 1 and September 15)

Here's more good news about Burlington Branch Library: a park is being built adjacent, so soon, you can have a picnic right after storytime. Many thanks to Town Hall East for helping the park plans happen!

Don't feel left out--8-5 working moms and pops can also have fun at the library. Lawson McGhee offers an evening storytime at 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday, which we have attended and enjoyed.

Find a storytime or event that's right for you:

See you at the library!

1 comment:

Ocean Child said...

That is something I would absolutely love!!! Libraries are such treasures.