Thursday, July 16, 2009

Veg-O-Rama has tasty menu, inviting atmosphere

I finally ate at the much anticipated all vegetarian restaurant,Veg-O-Rama, last week! Before I discuss my visit, though, I'd like to share just how long I've been waiting for them to open.

First off, I would have no idea of their existence if I didn't happen to have a rental property in that area that we've been working on for months. One day in February or April, I remember seeing their large banner "Coming Soon" above their door. I was thrilled and began telling people about it and driving by to see when they would open. I scoured the Internet for details and found nothing. Finally, they posted a sign with a sample menu in the window stating "coming in May," (see post) but as June approached, May had been replaced with June. By then I was quite worried and stopped by to see if anyone was available to talk with. Lo and behold, they'd be opening in two weeks! So finally, the day came, and my parents, husband, daughter and I all enjoyed a meal.

We had French Onion Soup, Chili Dogs, Tofu Reuben, Grilled Veggie Skewers, and a Veggie Burger. I only managed to try two items in addition to my own because no one wanted to share. (That's normal for us!)

The food was tasty with original, distinctive flavors and beautiful presentation. Pricing was good, with the highest item at $10.95 and most items being around $7.95.

The atmosphere was inviting and cozy. This restaurant was not thrown together. The loving care that has been put into this new Knoxville vegetarian's mecca definitely shows. They have a comfortable dining set up and feature mostly booth seating. A couple cozy armchairs tempt as you first walk in, and a bar awaits you toward the back.

Missing from their menu were staple, hearty meals (especially for the semi-vegetarians like my stepdad): spaghetti or lazagna, black beans with rice or a stacked enchilada, but I don't know if that's a bad thing. And my only complaint, which I've purposely buried, isthat the portion sizes were on the small size. I am a big eater for sure, though, so I don't know how other visitors have felt. Meanwhile, I hope to return tomorrow for another great meal.

I eagerly look forward to future menu choices, a finished Website, and all the other stuff it takes to get a new business up and running. I'll continue to post on their progress, and I wish them much success.

I can imagine that in time, Veg-O-Rama will become a Knoxville standard, as distinctive as the The Tomato Head and as versatile as The Sunspot.

They are already as delicious!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: