Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thrift Stores

Knoxville has several thrift store choices, and a few of my favorite are:

Habitat for Humanity at 2209 North Central, 521-4909

Plenty of furniture and items for the home such as ovens, light fixtures, doors, and even used paint.

Knoxville Area Rescue Ministries, KARM at 3935 Western, 521-7766, 115 Sherlake (off Clinton Hwy), 690-0939, 4528 Chapman, 577-0404, and 3555 Emory, 947-1663.

This year they offered a 20% off coupon in Knox Co Schools coupon books. The coupon could be used once a month (two months remaining at this time). In addition to that, your receipt is good for 10% a future purchase. Their coupons are sometimes limited to clothing/shoes only, so be sure to check them.

Smart Cents at 5731 Western, 558-6187

Smart Cents currently lists a coupon in the Volunteer Coupon Book for 25% off your total purchase. Not only that, they advertise that they will honor all competitor's coupons!

And finally, my favorite:
Amvets Thrift Store at 4105 Holston, 524-8498

Amvets boasts the lowest prices day in/day out. Often, the store is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter; the store has no bathrooms and clothing is not cutely organized by color. But, they do have a big, full store with everything from books, games, and curtains to sewing patterns, cloth, kitchen utensils, and tables. Children's clothing--from the hideous to The Gap--is $0.89 an item. They have great hours: open seven days a week and most days until 8 p.m. Several times a year, they'll have 50% off everything in the store sales (usually around holidays).


Currently, on the back of your Kroger receipt from Asheville Hwy will be a $5 off a $20 purchase coupon. (It is not good on the purchase of children's clothing, however.)

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey, I just answered your question about the All You magazine on my site.

Yo Mamma said...

Mamabelle,
Your blog is quite impressive! I'm glad we mamas found each other in the blogosphere. I wish I were in Knoxville to shop the thrift stores now. This was a very good post. I'm sure you get a ton of hits. Also, nice write up on the vegetarian place. If I didn't know better, I would think that you were an English major, with an emphasis on technical writing, who also did some time in a couple English classrooms in the knoxville/oak ridge area. But that's just a guess.

Mamabelle said...

LOL! Yes, so far I am enjoying the blog world more than the facebook world!

Ocean Child said...

Everywhere I've lived ...even the smallest little po-dunk town in Western NY ...had the greatest thrift resources ...that is ...until I moved here to Louisiana ...it's not the state of course but the exact region where I live. It's awful. It's true junk sold here ...and overpriced at that. *sigh* To go to any decent stores one has to drive at least 50 miles (that's a short trip for us here now). So, I tend to order online most often.

I miss wonderful thrift shops. I always have had the BEST luck in them. Even here though ..you find the rare diamond in the rough - I found a Baby Bjorn carrier (original) for only $8 dollars two days ago!!! It's in excellent condition! I almost regret buying the Moby Wrap because A. I could have made my own now that I've inspected it! And B. I like this Baby Bjorn very MUCH.

But it won't hurt to have both to switch off of.

I love Habitat. When I donate I often donate to Habitat and or Unicef.

Ocean Child said...

I have a Facebook! But I'm probably very annoying on it as I update my status a lot! It's http://facebook.com/julia.meadows if you'd like to be friends there!

Mamabelle said...

Awesome find on the carrier! And you can't have too many!! The carrier I made works just like the Moby wrap.