Tuesday, May 5, 2009

New Vegetarian Restaurant in Knoxville

There’s a new restaurant in town that won’t be including dead animals on the menu…



Here’s a picture of their current sign in their window:



It’s been an especially long wait for me because I, a lifelong vegetarian and enjoyer of restaurant eating, happened to see their “coming soon!” sign MONTHS ago at their location off Central Avenue. So, I’ve been waiting a LONG time. I did find this article, which to sum up, basically confirms that yes, I’ve been waiting a very long time for them to open.

So it is still not open as of today, May 6, 2009, but I am waiting.

Veg-O-Rama will finally give me & my fellow veggie Knoxvillians our own private spot where we can be ourselves and not have meat eaters gawking at our plates--or vice versa. Speaking of spots, Sunspot Restaurant consistently receives a best vegetarian restaurant award in various Knoxville news mediums, though Sunspot has fewer vegetarian options than several other notables. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Sunspot, but they only serve about two dishes I like, which means if I’m not in the mood for one of those two things I have two choices: check their site for a delectable veggie special or eat somewhere else—it’s usually the latter.

At one time before my married—with children life, my husband and I would make the two hour drive to Asheville and visit The Laughing Seed Restaurant, a vegetarian’s Mecca. Ordering food at the LS was nearly impossible for me because instead of scanning the menu for a little symbol representing the two or three items I could choose from—the little symbol on their menu stood for vegan, and I could eat those meals too! Aggghhh! Choice Overload!!! [Note to self: never become upset with a carnivore for taking too long to order as they have so many choices.]

Other Notables for you Knoxville vegetarian, restaurant-loving folk to check out:

The Glowing Bowl

(this place is also completely vegetarian, but it’s a café and is only open during the day: Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:00pm, Saturday: 9:00am-3:00pm, Sunday: closed. That said, when I checked their Web site just now, I saw: Beginning May 1st, the Glowing Bowl will be expanding our hours to be open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights until 9pm. Additionally, the Glowing Bowl was voted as a runner up in the recent Metro Pulse best of Knoxville polls. )

The Tomato Head
Taste of Thai
PF Changs
Lemon Grass
Sitar
Calypso Café
Falafel Hut
Green Hills Grille
King Tut’s Grill
Nama Sushi Bar


I haven’t eaten at all of the above but I will eventually. I have a feeling that when I do try The Glowing Bowl, it will need a blog of it’s own.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Yummo! I can't wait to try it out. I saw the sign when I was last driving in that area of town. Keep us posted on your thoughts about the food!

Candace said...

Green Hills and Calypso are closed. I love Nama and Taste of Thai. Never tried King Tut's, but I would love to. Never heard of the Glowing Bowl. Can't wait till this new place opens. It will fulfill my split personality palate.

Mamabelle said...

Bummer those two are closed--I'm glad I hadn't tried them or I'd be upset. Split personality palate!! hilarious!